Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Life REALLY Changes Part Two

Part one of this story is here.

Fast forward from the Urgent Care restroom to the Scott & White Emergency Room. This is the last place on earth I want to be 8 weeks pregnant on a Friday night but yet here we are, waiting in a room full of sick people at the height of flu season.

We arrived at the ER around 7:00 and were led to a little room to "check in" the woman taking my vitals was very reassuring that I should not be worried and that everything was probably fine. This did nothing to ease my fear. We were finally called at 10:30 to head back. Longest 3 and half hours of my life. Luckily the waiting room of an ER provides an endless amount of people watching and hilarity so we were entertained. There really should be a reality show about ER waiting rooms I think it would be a hit.

Once we were in the room I was able to relax a little bit more and at least lay down for awhile. Two doctors came in with an ultrasound machine and they were both about Ben's age so that made it a little more enjoyable as they were joking around with us and talking college football. I still find it very surreal when I go to any doctor or hospital and the people walking around are my age or younger. Anyways, they had me describe my fall and I swear they were both holding back laughter (who can blame them... people at school still make sure to tell me if there is a wet floor anywhere within a 50 ft radius of me).

After my saga they had me lie down and the Doctor began observing the resident doing the ultrasound. I could not see the screen but Ben could all I could see was the reaction of their faces as they scanned my belly.  I swear that minute they were checking felt like an hour and then I heard the most amazing words "We have a heartbeat... oh a strong one at that!" cue huge sigh of relief and lots of relieved laughter at all my worry. 

After finding the heartbeat the doctor instructed the resident to check the other side of my belly for a more complete view and then all of a sudden silence. Keep in mind, I still cannot see the ultrasound machine so I have no idea why there is silence. Again felt like an hour until someone, me, finally spoke and said "Um, guys, why is it so quiet? did we celebrate too early? I thought heartbeat meant all is good? Don't tell me that fall actually caused damage... pregnant lady here, can't see the screen..." The doctor took a minute to wipe the shock of his face and responded and this conversation followed:

Dr: "Um yeah, all is good, definitely no need to um, worry, but how much time do y'all have this evening?" 

Me: "Evening? It's 10:45 on a Friday night, any plans we had are long gone... is everything okay?"

Dr: "Yeah I just think maybe we need to to do an internal ultrasound,  I mean I'm not a baby doctor or anything but... um..." cue very long pause...

Me: "Don't tell me there's more than one of them in there or something..."

Dr: "Yeah, well like I said... I mean I'm not a baby doctor but how do you feel about twins??"

Ben (who had been literally silent and staring in disbelief at the machine) exclaimed: "I KNEW THAT IS WHAT I WAS SEEING?"

Me: "What the??? Can I please look at the machine??"

Finally they turned the ultrasound machine so I could see our little gummy bears (I swear all babies look like gummy bears until at least 14 weeks) and low and behold two little babies. There they were. We couldn't contain our laughter at this point. How did we go from "You may have some trouble conceiving...." to "I'm pregnant!" to "We're having twins!"  The doctor did caution us that we shouldn't get too excited and buy a new house or anything because and I quote, "There is still time for one of them to eat the other one." I can't make this stuff up.

Luckily we did not have to go up to the maternity floor and wait for an internal ultrasound because they were able to find both heartbeats and measure each baby. Not a baby doctor reassured us that even though this isn't his regular gig he felt confident that there were two healthy babies growing inside.

After a quick discharge we headed to the car and sat in silence until we got to the Wendy's drive-thru. This was followed by more laughter and more "How on earth....?"  It's so hard to describe in words the emotions I felt in that moment when I found out there were two babies growing inside me. I think I went from shock to joy and back about 20 times and fear that was definitely present. Needless to say, as soon as we got home my entire pinterest board changed and I immediately switched into twin mom mode.

To say we are blessed is an understatement. I am so grateful that we did not have to go through what so many couples do to conceive and that up to this point we have had a happy and healthy pregnancy. Our prayers have been answered ten fold and I know God has something special in store for our little ones. And yes there are still two - no cannibals in the Burnett family.

Unfortunately the machine at the ER was unable to print a picture of the little gummy bears but a week later at our regular OB appointment we were sent home with this little memento. Twin A on the right has always been very active and Twin B on the left still to this day remains in the fetal position kicking and moving only when bothered.



No comments:

Post a Comment