Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Best. News. Ever.

The day was November 2nd. Ben had a soccer game and I chose to sleep in while avoiding all and I mean ALL responsibilities.  This was my first real break from coaching and grading in over a month so therefore I prescribed myself a long day of rest and catching up on my DVR.

On this seemingly normal Sunday I realized I was missing a very important monthly visitor.  Given that October is THE most stressful month of my year I didn't think much of the absence. I walked/ran to the bathroom, only to discover that I was out of tests. I COULD have waited for Ben to return from his important day of corralling small children on the soccer field but I decided against being lazy and going to the store myself.

I begrudgingly changed out of my lounge wear and headed to HEB, with a pit stop at Starbucks for my first peppermint mocha of the season. The red cups were back and I planned to have one in hand before taking my 11th negative pregnancy test of a very long year.

I called Ben on the way to the store and he made me promise not to lock myself in the bathroom to take the test (as I was accustomed to doing) and to wait until he got home so we could read the results together. Luckily for him the line at Starbucks was long so he actually beat me home.

I kid you not, I waited 28 minutes for that peppermint and it was worth it. By the time I made it to HEB and bought no less than 8 tests - Ben met me at home. I took the test handed it off to Ben to wait for the results. While the test counted down, I decided to busy myself cleaning the kitchen.

Shock and disbelief do not even begin to describe how I felt when I looked at that test. I actually thought the chances of the test being defective were higher than it being correct. I kept asking Ben "Why doesn't it say Not it's supposed to say NOT pregnant." Needless to say I took about 4 more of those test that day.

I'm not even sure how to describe the wave of emotion that came over me at that moment. I felt shocked, excited and terrified all at the same time. Shocked that just two weeks before this we were being told by my doctor it may be awhile before this moment ever happened and now to be here staring at the "pregnant". Excited because this dream we had was coming true and so many prayers were being answered. Terrified because well, our little life as we knew it was about to change, and you may not know this about me but change is not my favorite thing. Little did we know... this was only the beginning of the shock, joy and fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment